Monday, August 01, 2005

Just Like Home

I walked by the Snipper Snapper Hole this week. It is so grown up that you can't even get to it, but I am sure that there is a huge snapping turtle, or worse, still there just waiting to snatch me up as I scamper by.

We were at the farm this week. I had the pure enjoyment of staying with my Aunt Janice. She is one of the best eggs ever. She had been here staying with my mom the week before and the kids, Mom and I took her home. It was great to be there. It is one of those places that even though you have never lived there it feels just like home. There is no cell phone reception, so it is like being tucked away from the world for as long as you want to be. We swam in her little pool and ate watermelon and tomatoes that were just picked from the field. By the way, do you ever buy a watermelon and not have room to put it in the fridge? Before you cut it just lay it on an airconditioning vent. It keeps it nice and chilly. I was amazed! Good thinking Janice!

Anyway, one of the mornings we took a little walk through the woods near the Snipper Snapper Hole. It is very sandy and boy was it hot. That afternoon it peaked at 103! We were scouting out a piece of land that Mom owns to see where she could someday build her retirement house. Campbell was impressed with a very old piece of metal that had come off a wagon wheel a long time ago. There is no telling what else you could find there if you dug around in the sand. It was quite fun. We heard lots of stories of things that happened when Mom and Janice were kids. One in particular was of a time when Mom was a teenager and was carrying a basket with a flower pot in it from Janice's, who was married and had moved to the place where she is now, to her parents. Rumor had it that the graveyard at the church was/is haunted. Just as she was walking by the pot shifted in the basket and made a noise. She said it scared the heck out of her until she realized what it was. I have never seen any spirits around there, but you never know.


I also got to spend some time with my cousin's children, Emma and Sarah. Sarah is not quite one and Emma is four. We had a great time. I hope that Emma continues to be the bright beautiful girl that she is and that Sarah never looses her belly laugh. She already has a wonderful sense of humor.

I hope that we will always be able to go walk by the Snipper Snapper Hole. I hope that there will always be family there to share it with. I am one of the luckiest people in the world to have a family who loves me. There are too few.

No comments: